Wednesday, January 9, 2008

PLASTIC OPERATOR

Yaaaay, I'm back from holidays! And my first post of 2008 is of Plastic Operator. No, this is not a made-up moniker of words which are currently "in" and "hip" (re: ghost, wolf, bang etc.). It is the name of amazing electro pop duo Mathieu Gendreau and Pieter Van Dessel.

It was a pairing of fate, when Mathieu from Montreal met Pieter from Antwerp while studying Audio Production in London. The two found they both had a love for electro pop music, and respective heads were put together to come up with a sound to celebrate this genre. In 2004 they released a 3 track EP and from there Plastic Operator's name spread to the far corners of the globe, receiving airplay in California, New Zealand and even Tijuana.

They aren't short on production experience, doing past work for huge acts such as Goldfrapp and New Order, and this definitely shows through with their own music. The slow and soothing pace of the melodic bass and synths, mixed with Pieter's melancholy vocals gives me a calming feeling similar to artists such as Postal Service, Whitest Boy Alive and Royksopp.

Last year they released their debut album DIFFERENT PLACES on Mathieu's own label Fine Day Records, which is available to buy here or on iTunes and Amazon... I can't believe I've only just discovered it, cos I think it would be a contender in my top 10 of 2007 (which is coming soon)... I've posted a couple of the best tracks below.

Plastic Operator - Folder
(YSI)

Plastic Operator - Home 0207 (YSI)



Ever drunk Baileys out of a shoe

No comments: